This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Blaze Sanders 4 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Blaze Sanders

What part could crowdfunding play in this SFF goal?

Greg Quetin
    Keymaster

To my knowledge the most successful space related crowd funding project to date was the Planetary Resources Kickstarter ARKYD telescope (link). This earned ~$1.5M with about 18000 backers and hopes to launch in a few years.

Many of the pieces of the sustainable settlement strategy are loosely in the $100s of millions. However, I think it would be very interesting to find those pieces of the project that are close to millions and 10s of millions that people could invest in. The benefits would be beyond the financial support as you would have a more invested public and higher profile as well.

One positive of the settlement strategy is that it leaves behind multiple use infrastructure that should reduce the risk and cost of follow on missions. Crowdfunding and other aggregate funding sources would buy a lot more in a future that had regular launches and easier access to useable space and transportation on orbit. Both these impacts would make crowdfunding for likely and tractable.

Finally, the JOBS Act has the potential to open up crowd investing (link), which leads to another whole set of possibilities.

What technologies or demonstrations do people think would be appropriate for crowdfunding campaigns? How does the infrastructure necessary for approaching space with settlement in mind create opportunity and multiplication of effort for these (presumably) smaller projects?

Blaze Sanders

I think an open source space tolerant prototyping platform could be a small step [pun intended] in the correct direction, and is the reason I created the Gravity Development Board. I developed the GDB to be the best open source prototyping platform on the Earth market and we intend it to replace the Arduino Uno® as the preferred high-level prototyping environment. It is up to 40x faster, 70% smaller, has integrated high power drivers (capable of handling 12x the current), with more flexible Input / Output configurations, and yet is still much easier to program via 12 Blocks™. Our quick release breakout board (called Ejection Seat™) allows for easy prototyping, yet keeps the GDB form factor small and robust enough to use in space companies’ product releases / MVP’s.

Our crowdfunding page can be found at http://dft.ba/-GDB-RocketHub

Sol-X just signed a deal to get FREE thermal-vacuum & vibration testing for the Gravity Development Board worth $32,000+ on Sept 25, 2013.

Key test parameters:
    – Pressure 1×10-5 ATM
    – Temperature -40 to 60 Degrees Celsius
    – Vibration profile of the Falcon 9, Ariane V, & Orbital Sciences Taurus rockets

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘There Is Another Way – Discussion Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.