SSI External Tank Report
VIII – References
VIII. ET Project – References
1. ACC and Shuttle Derived Cargo Vehicle Definition Study, Final Report, Martin-Marietta MMC-SDV-DR-6-3, NAS8-34183, Feb 1983.
2. Aerospace America, Aerospace Highlights of 1984, Liquid Propulsion, Aerospace Power Systems, Dec 1984.
3. Aft Cargo Carrier Contamination Screening Analysis, Martin-Marietta S83-47578-002, Dec 1983.
4. Aft Cargo Carrier (External Tank) Systems Definition Handbook, Martin-Marietta, Dec 1982.
5. Anderson, J.W., Tewell, J.R., Taylor, T.C., Platform Operations Using the External Tank, AIAA 81-8461, 2nd AIAA Conference on Large Space Platforms, San Diego, Feb 1981.
6. Angelo, J.A., The Dictionary of Space Technology, pp. 68-73, Facts On File, Inc., New York, 1982.
7. Angelo, J.A., Buden, D., Space Nuclear Power, Orbit Book Co. Inc., Malabar, Fla., 1985.
8. Aviation Week and Space Technology –
– External Tank Depicted as a Space Station Element, pp. 246, Sept 6, 1982.
– NASA Investigates Shuttle-Derived Spacecraft, pp. 57, Aug 23, 1982.
– Station Role Proposed for Shuttle Tanks, pp. 145, April 29, 1985.
– New Ideas in Space, Editorial, pp. 9, Aug 26, 1985
– NASA Approved Fly-Now, Pay Later Plan for Orbiting Industrial Facility, pp. 16, Aug 26,
– Space Industries Plans to Develop Orbiting Facility With Engineering Firm, pp. 26, Sept 2,
– Space Station Redesigned for Larger Structural Area, pp. 16, Oct 14, 1985
9. Aydelott, J.C., Carney, M.J., Hochstein, J.I., NASA Lewis Research Center Low-Gravity Fluid Management Technology Program, AIAA GNOS 85-003, New Orleans, Nov 1985.
10. Bannister, T., Customer Accomodations for the Manufacturing and Technology Lab (MTL), 2nd Plenary Session, 3rd AIAA/GNOS Aerospace Technology Symposium, New Orleans, Nov 1985.
11. Barber, J.P., Electric Rail Gun Application to Space Propulsion, in Electric Propulsion and Its Applications to Space Missions, Volume 79, Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics, AIAA, 1981.
12. Brady, H., Summary of Studies Concerning – Utilization of External Tank as Element of Space Station, MSFC-PD, Huntsville, Ala., March 1982.
13. Carroll, J.A., Guidebook for Analysis of Tether Applications, Final Report on Contract RH4-394049 with Martin-Marietta, San Diego, Calif., March 1985.
14. Carroll, J.A., Personal communications, Jul – Oct 1985.
15. Carroll, J.A., Potential On-Orbit Uses of Aluminium From the External Tank, AIAA GNOS 83-006, New Orleans, La., Sept 1983.
16. Carroll, J.A., Tether-Mediated Rendezvous, Report to Martin-Marietta, California Space Institute, March 1984.
17. Christensen, D., Personal communications, Sept 1985.
18. Cutler, A.H., Aluminium Fuelled Space Engines to Enhance Space Transportation System Effectiveness, Technological Springboard to the 21st Century, NASA/ASEE Summer Study, 1984.
19. Cutler, A.H., H2/O2/Al Engines and Their Application to OTV’s, 35th IAF Congress, IAF 84-314, Lausanne, Switzerland, Oct 1984.
20. Cutler, A.H., Personal communications, Sept – Oct 1985.
21. Davis, R.M., External Tank Looks for a New Lease On Life, Aerospace America, AIAA, May 1985.
22. Driggers, G.W., A Factory Concept for Processing and Manufacturing with Lunar Material, Space Manufacturing 2, AIAA, May 1977.
23. Eagle Engineering, Houston, 1980 – 1983, 3 reports for Martin-Marietta Michoud –
– Space Shuttle ET On-Orbit Missions with an ACC
– Space Shuttle ET On-Orbit Missions with an ACC and a NASA GAS Payload
– Space Shuttle ET On-Orbit Missions ET/ACC Configuration Assessment
24. Eberhardt, R.N., Fester, D.A., Managing Fluids in Space, AIAA GNOS 85-001, New Orleans, Nov 1985.
25. ET Applications in Space – Final Report, Vol II, Martin Marietta Advanced Programs by T.C. Taylor, Dec 1982.
26. External Tank Applications, Martin-Marietta, 1982
27. External Tank Derived Space Operations Center Concept (ET/SOC), Final Report, 3 Volumes, Martin-Marietta Advanced Programs by T.C. Taylor, 1980.
28. External Tank On-Orbit Inspection, Martin-Marietta MMC-ET-SE05-98, done under NAS8-30300, May 1982.
29. Fester, D.A., Gilmore, W.L., Propellant Supply for Space Operations, Martin-Marietta, 1985.
30. Fester, D.A., Rudolph, L.K., Kiefel, E.R., Tethered Orbital Propellant Depot, AIAA GNOS 85-004, New Orleans, Nov 1985.
31. General Purpose Aft Cargo Carrier Study – Final Report, Vol I, Technical, Martin-Marietta, May 1985.
32. Gilmore, W., Supplying Cryogenic Propellants for Space Based OTV, 21st Joint Propulsion Conference, AIAA 85-1225, Monterey, Calif, July 1985.
33. Gimarc, J.A., External Tank Applications in Space Manufacturing, Space Manufacturing 5 – Engineering with Lunar and Asteroidal Materials, 7th Princeton/AIAA Conference on Space Manufacturing, AIAA, Oct 1985.
34. Hartmann, W.K., Miller, R., Lee, P., Out of the Cradle Exploring the Frontiers Beyond Earth, pp. 48-53, Workman Publishing, NY, Sept 1984.
35. Hedgepeth, J.M, Mobley, T.B., Taylor, T.C., Construction of Large Precision Reflectors Using the Aft Cargo Carrier, 35th IAF Congress, IAF 84-389, Lausanne, Switzerland, Oct 1984.
36. Hooper, W.H., MacFarlane, W.M., Fabrication of Large Components for the Space Shuttle External Tank, AIAA GNOS 84-012, New Orleans, LA., Oct 1984.
37. Hunter, M.W., Summary Presentation of the Transportation Panel, in NASA/Marshall Spaceflight Center Application of Tethers in Space, Vol I, N85-20357, Mar 1985.
38. Identification of New Potential Scientific and Technology Areas for DOD Application, Summary of Activities, Final Report, California Space Institute, N84-17050, La Jolla, Calif, Aug 1983.
39. Kent, S. The Space Shuttle External Tank as a Re-Entry Module, Space Manufacturing III, AIAA, Oct 1979.
40. Koch, D., Using the ET for Gamma-Ray Astronomy, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, Cambridge, Mass, 1984.
41. Liquid Boost Module (LBM) Technical Interchange Summary, FY 1980 Activities, Martin-Marietta Denver, Sept 1980.
42. Lunhan, D., Man and the Planets, Ashgrove Press, Bath UK, 1983.
43. Lunhan, D., Project Starseed: An Integrated Programme for Nuclear Waste Disposal and Space Solar Energy, Journal of the British Interplanetary Society, Vol 36, pp. 426-432, 1983.
44. Marshall, W.R., U.S. Launch Systems Evolution, AAS 82-136, in Spacelab, Space Platforms and the Future, AAS Vol 49, 4th AAS/DGLR Symposium, AAS, 1982.
45. Martin-Marietta Advanced Programs, various unpublished drawings of ACC and ET applications, Sept 1985.
46. Martin-Marietta unpublished internal memos on propulsion systems using residual cryogenics, Oct 20, 1981, Jun 24, 1982, Mar 31, 1983.
47. Mitchell, P.M., Taylor, T.C., Low Cost Space Science and Astronomy Platform in Orbit, AIAA 22nd Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Reno, Nev., Jan 1984.
48. Mobley, T.B., Personal communications, Jul – Oct 1985.
49. Monitor, D.S., Alternative Docking Concepts for Application to the Space Station, AIAA GNOS 85-011, New Orleans, Nov 1985.
50. Monitor, D.S., Studies of an External Tank Tethered to an Orbiter in Orbit, AIAA GNOS 83-024, New Orleans, La., Sept 1983.
51. Oberg, J., Personal Communications, Oct 1985.
52. O’Neill, G.K., The High Frontier, Bantam Books, Jan 1978.
53. Piland, R.O., The Solar Power Satellite Concept Evaluation Program, Radiation Energy Conversion in Space, Vol 61, Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics Series, AIAA, 1979.
54. The Process of Space Station Development Using External Tanks, Report by the External Tank Working Group of the California Space Institute, Scripps Institute of Oceanography, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, Calif., March 1983.
55. Rambaut, P.C., Preventing Adverse Physiological Change in Long-Term Spaceflight, in Space Manufacturing 5 Engineering with Lunar and Asteroidal Materials, Proceedings of the 7th Princeton/AIAA Conference on Space Manufacturing, AIAA, Oct 1985.
56. Report on the Utilization of the External Tanks of the Space Transportation System, NAS8-35037, California Space Institute, University of California at Say Diego, Workshop held Aug 1982, April 1983.
57. Rogers, T.F., Homesteading the New Frontier, Spaceworld pp. 4-7, June 1985.
58. Rogers, T.F., A University Private Research Laboratory in Space, unpublished comments presented at the AIAA 23rd Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Reno, Nv., Feb 1985.
59. Schrock, S.R., Space Station Architectural Design, AIAA GNOS 83-004, New Orleans, La., Sept 1983.
60. Shuttle Performance Enhancement – Option 4 (External Tank Rocket Assist), NAS8-30300, Martin-Marietta Denver, June 1978.
61. Sloan, J.H., Stepping Stones Into Space, Space Manufacturing 5 – Engineering with Lunar and Asteroidal Materials, 7th Princeton/AIAA Conference on Space Manufacturing, AIAA, Oct 1985.
62. Space Resources and Space Settlements, NASA SP-428, NASA, 1979.
63. Space Shuttle External Tank (Lightweight Model) Systems Definition Handbook, Vol I, Configuration and Operations, Martin-Marietta, NAS8-30300, NASA, April 1983.
64. Space Shuttle External Tank (Lightweight Model) Systems Definition Handbook, Vol II, Layout Drawings, Martin-Marietta, NAS8-30300, NASA, April 1983.
65. Spencer, J.S., Space Shuttle External Tank Habitability Study, Space Systems Development Group, Los Angeles, Aug 1980.
66. Stine, G.H., Space Power, Ace Books, Sept 1981.
67. Stine, G.H., The Third Industrial Revolution, Ace Books, 1979.
68. STS Performance Issues Impact on ACC, unpublished internal data, Martin-Marietta, Sept 1985.
69. STS Propellant Scavenging Systems Study – Final Report, Vol I, Executive Summary, Martin-Marrieta, Feb 1985.
70. Svoboda, T., Svitek, T., Vackar, J., Kirschner, M., Barta, J., Vitek, K., Urban, M., Space Shuttle External Tank Used as a Space Station Study Project PERUN, 30th IAF Congress, IAF 79-ST-05, Munich, Sept 1979.
71. Taylor, T.C., A Commercial Construction Base Using the External Tank, 2nd AIAA Conference on Large Space Platforms, AIAA 81-0460, San Diego, Calif., Feb 1981.
72. Taylor, T.C., Commercial Operations for the External Tank in Orbit, 18th Goddard Memorial Symposium, AAS 80-89, March 1980.
73. Taylor, T.C., Construction of the SPS Primary Structure by Another Method, presentation at the DOE SPS Conference, Lincoln, Neb., Apr 1980.
74. Taylor, T.C., Mobley, T.B., The ET in Orbit as a Space System Material Resource, 33rd IAF Congress, IAF 82-392, Paris, Sept 1982.
75. Taylor, T.C., The ET Scenario, in Selected ET Papers, Taylor and Associates, Wrightwood, Calif, Sept 1985.
76. Taylor, T.C., Future Potential Uses of Spacelab for Manned Orbital Facilities, 32nd IAF Congress, IAA 81-227, Rome, Sept 1981.
77. Taylor, T.C., A Modest Habitation Facility in Low Earth Orbit, 32nd IAF Congress, IAF 81-40, Rome, Sept 1981.
78. Taylor, T.C., Orbital Facility Operations Through an Assured Market Scenario, 33rd IAF Congress, IAF 82-33, Paris, Sept 1982.
79. Taylor, T.C., Crain, W.K., Fleming, J., Ganoe, W.H., Performance Enhancemant of the Space Transportation System, IAF-84-08, 35th Congress of the IAF, Lausanne, Switzerland, Oct 1984.
80. Taylor, T.C., Personal communications, Jan – Oct 1985.
81. Taylor, T.C., The Aft Cargo Carrier (ACC) With a Large Deployable Reflector (LDR) Payload, AIAA GNOS 84-032, New Orleans, La., Oct 1984.
82. Taylor, T.C., The External Tank Scenario: Utilization of the Shuttle External Tank for an Earth to Mars Transit System, The Case for Mars, AAS Vol 57, Science and Technology Series, AAS 81-236, 1984.
83. Tegart, J.R., Kirkland, Z.D., On-Orbit Propellant Resupply Demonstration – Flight Results, AIAA GNOS 85-005, New Orleans, Nov 1985.
84. Tethers in Space – Birth and Growth of a New Avenue to Space Utilization, by G. von Tiesenhausen, NASA TM-82571, NASA/MSFC, NASA, Feb 1984.
85. Tewell, J.R., Ernst, R.A., A Future Launch System, AIAA GNOS 85-013, New Orleans, Nov 1985.
86. Timmons, K.P., Norton, A., Williams, F.L., External Tank Applications in Space, Unispace Conference, Vienna, Austria, Aug 1982.
87. Torres, W., Karr., D.G., Stability Analysis – Space Shuttle Liquid Hydrogen Tank, AIAA GNOS 84-002, New Orleans, La., Oct 1984.
88. Turner, A., Personal communications, Sept 1985.
89. Vajk, J.P., Engel, J.H., Shettler, J.A., Habitat and Logistic Support Requirements for the Initiation of a Space Manufacturing Enterprise, NASA SP-428, Space Resources and Space Settlements, NASA, 1979.
90. Webb, D.C., A Current Perspective on Space Commercialization, Aerospace Industries Association of America, Washington, D.C., April 1985.
91. Wefel, J.P., Jones, W.V., Large Area Orbital Detector Array for High Energy Physics & Astrophysics, AIAA GNOS 83-019, New Orleans, La., Sept 1983.
92. Werffeli, C.B., Cutler, A.H., Space Shuttle External Tank Reutilization, unpublished work and notes, California Space Institute, Sept 1985.
93. Witek, N.J., Taylor, T.C., The External Tank as a Large Space Structure Construction Base, 31st IAF Conference, IAF 80-A-41, Tokyo, Sept 1980.
94. Witek, N.J., Taylor, T.C., Global Benefits of the Space Enterprise Facility Using the External Tank, 31st IAF Conference, 80-IAA 46, Tokyo, Sept 1980.
95. Workshop on Possible Applications of the STS External Tank to Life Support, and to Chemical and Life Sciences, California Space Institute, CSI 83-2, Scripps Institute of Oceanography, La Jolla, Calif., February 1983.
Return to External Tanks main page